Business proprietors at Laman Rimbunan in Kepong, Kuala Lumpur, want food trucks operating in the commercial area to leave.
The food truckers, however, argue that they have permission to run their business there.
The business proprietors at the shoplots are now collecting signatures to submit to Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL), calling for the local authority to retract its approval for the food trucks to operate there.
Community activist Yee Poh Ping said the food trucks, which operate daily from 10am to midnight, were occupying the limited parking bays in the area.
“They operate in two shifts, morning and night, with two different associations managing them.
“Their presence is causing congestion and hassle among motorists who want to park,” he said, adding that there were about 20 food trucks at any given time.
Poh Ping said he had complained to DBKL on Aug 8 last year, which led to a meeting in September to discuss the issue.
“We were told that the trucks would be allowed to operate for three months starting November.
“This means they must cease operations by the end of January.
“We want DBKL to discontinue the permit,” he said.
When met at the site, Yee Hock Lai, who manages the food trucks, denied claims that they were causing traffic congestion.
“We collect a daily fee of RM25 for cleaning work and to pay Rela personnel to regulate traffic,” he said, adding that the food truck operators were complying with DBKL’s regulations.
A check by StarMetro at Jalan Rimbunan Raya 1 found a notice with a DBKL insignia saying there were two shifts — from 10am to 6pm, and 6pm to midnight.
Kuala Lumpur Food Truck Entrepreneurs Association chairman Muhammad Azlan Abas said rescinding the approval to the food vendors would exacerbate the traffic congestion.
“Even if DBKL retracted its approval, these trucks will still likely continue their operations here.
“At least now, their operations can be properly managed,” Azlan said, adding that Poh Ping should instead highlight the problem of illegal vendors operating in the area.
In a Dec 18 StarMetro report, Azlan said DBKL was studying the feasibility of the location.
After having meetings with the surrounding residents associations and business owners, he said that only 20 trucks were allowed in one centralised spot.
He added that after January, they would see if improvements were needed at the site.