MCA: Early warning system absent in remote Puchong


Soon (left) and Seri Kembangan MCA Public Service and Complaints Bureau chief Wong Jung Lik inspecting the poor drainage that contributed to the Dec 18 flood in Kampung Seri Aman, Puchong. — Photos: SS KANESAN/The Star

THE Selangor government and local councils are urged to implement an early warning system immediately in the interior areas of Puchong, where residents were hit hard by floods last month.

Puchong MCA New Media Bureau head Soon Mon Huay said there used to be an officer in charge who would alert the villagers of an impending flood and help them evacuate to safer ground.

“This system no longer exists. As such, we strongly urge the state government to reinstate a proper early warning system to evacuate villagers and lead them to safety,” he said after visiting residents at Kampung Seri Aman, Puchong.

The village, which consists of some 3,000 households, was badly affected by the flood on Dec 18.

Soon said the drainage system was in dire need of an upgrade, and said this could have contributed to the flood.

He urged the Subang Jaya City Council (MBSJ) to urgently look into the matter.

The other two villages in the area that were badly flooded were Kampung Kenangan and Kampung Tengah.

“Kampung Seri Aman mostly consists of single-storey houses, and the distance from these houses to the main road of Jalan Berkat is about 3km.

“During a flood like the one on Dec 18, it would be impossible for them to evacuate to a safe place without help,” Soon said, adding that the lake at Taman Tasik Seri Aman had overflowed, so much so that the villagers could not differentiate between the drains and the roads.

Post-flood clean-up work is still being carried out at Kampung Seri Aman.Post-flood clean-up work is still being carried out at Kampung Seri Aman.

“We want the state government to immediately upgrade the drainage system for the villagers’ safety.

“This village is underdeveloped while the surrounding areas have seen rapid development, which could have caused the flood,” he said.

Soon questioned MBSJ’s Special Action Squad (Pantas), which in October last year announced that it had enhanced its logistics capabilities and manpower to respond to flash floods.

In fact, he pointed out that an earlier report in StarMetro said that MBSJ had prepared enough assets and manpower tackle floods which were expected in 19 vulnerable areas.

“The Kampung Seri Aman villagers said they did not get help from the local council’s action squad when they needed to evacuate,” Soon added.

Mamat Long, a 71-year-old villager who was neck-deep in floodwater during the early hours of Dec 19, recounted how an NGO came to his rescue with a four-wheel-drive vehicle to move him and his family to the Kampung Seri Aman mosque opposite his house.

His daughter-in-law Nor Atikah Sukiman, 33, said the two-storey mosque provided shelter and food to flood victims during that period.

“Later that Sunday, the fire department rescue boat moved us to the flood transit centre at Dewan Puchong Intan.

“MBSJ officials were at the transit centre to help move us to the shelters later that day and we also received aid from NGOs.

“It had never flooded like this before and my father in-law has lived here since the 1980s.

“It was a terrible experience because we were all almost underwater,” she said.

Article type: free
User access status:
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Metro News

Go-karting’s power to thrill draws enthusiasts to rooftop circuit
Fish handout to help needy
Clean up, deepen rentention pond near Mandarin Park, say residents
Condo project alarms Taman U-Thant residents
‘Turn Gawai Bazaar site into Dayak food court’
Health and beauty retailer opens first drive-through store in Taman Daya
Streamlining business licence application process
New weekly show to dazzle visitors
Digging deep into urban farming
Women leaders honoured at gala dinner

Others Also Read