POST-FLOOD clean-up in Kuala Lumpur has been completed with almost 700 tonnes of bulk waste removed from the city’s roads and neighbourhoods.
Federal Territories Solid Waste Management and Public Cleansing Corporation (SWCorp) director Ummi Kalthum Shuib said any bulk waste that was disposed of after the initial clean-up would be picked up under the regular cleaning schedule.
“Clean-up efforts were focused at 14 locations that were affected by floods on Dec 18 in Kuala Lumpur.
“Through our concessionaire Alam Flora Sdn Bhd, we managed to complete the work by Dec 30,” she told StarMetro.
Areas affected included Kampung Kasipillay, Kampung Pasir, Jalan Tiong Nam, Masjid Jamek, Jalan Tun Razak, Jalan Batu Bata and Kampung Periuk.
Kuala Lumpur mayor Datuk Seri Mahadi Che Ngah had previously expressed his dissatisfaction over flood clean-up efforts in the city.
Despite Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) mobilising its assets and manpower to help, Mahadi was quoted on DBKL’s social media complaining that progress was slow.
Reflecting on the amount of rubbish that was swept up after the flood, Ummi Khaltum hoped that the public would take heed of the urgent need to change their rubbish disposal habits.
“We need to change our attitude of indiscriminate dumping to throwing our rubbish properly and practising waste segregation.”
She added that city residents, who had lost their green bins because of the flood, were required to lodge a complaint with Federal Territories SWCorp by calling 03-2245 9292 or sending a message to 019-4460 300 or 016-865 5313.