Vaccination centres in Kuantan are expected to be open for walk-ins by this week.
District health officer Dr Mohd Rahim Sulong said this goal appeared to be on track as the total number of completed vaccinations was reaching its target.
“The priority now is to jab registered individuals first.
“We expect to complete their vaccinations by the third week of September and then we will open the centres for walk-ins,” he said during Foreign Minister Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah’s recent visit to the district health office in Kuantan.
Saifuddin was briefed that the vaccination target was 360,900 individuals.
He said 262,867 people had already received their first dose by Sept 2 with 194,830 more having completed their second dose.
On another matter, Saifuddin, who is Indera Mahkota MP, said up to RM1.85mil worth of aid had been distributed from March last year to August this year to residents in his constituency who were affected by the pandemic.
He said the aid was in the form of food baskets, groceries, baby and adult diapers as well as milk for infants.
Other items provided were face masks, hand sanitiser and face shields.
Saifuddin said the funds for the aid came via government allocations to elected representatives, the Social Welfare Depart-ment and non-governmental organisations plus donations from individuals and the private sector.
Saifuddin added that his office was also cooperating with the offices of the Kuantan, Paya Besar and Pekan MPs to exchange information in order to prevent families from being left out.
“Although we are from different political parties, I feel we have good cooperation,” he said.