AFTER being closed for sanitisation for 10 days, the whole Bagan Ajam Market is now fully reopened.
Earlier, a section of the market was also closed for three days for the same purpose after 43 people came down with Covid-19 on May 5.
Seberang Prai City Council (MBSP) mayor Datuk Rozali Mohamud said out of the 66 lots, only eight operators resumed their business yesterday.
“There are 56 lots for food traders in the complex but only three have resumed their business.
“Out of eight stalls selling pork, only five of them have returned to work at the market, ” he said in a statement.
Rozali said the market was closed for 10 days to allow sanitisation and for the traders to undergo Covid-19 swab tests from May 18.
“Inspectors from the district health department found the risk of infection at the market to be low following the closure and screening of all the traders.
“There is one person who has yet to undergo a second swab test despite orders by authorities to do so.
“Although the trader’s first test result was negative, this person will not be allowed to reopen until the second swab test returns negative, ” he said.
MBSP councilor Tan Chee Teong, who visited the market, said most traders chose to remain closed due to poor business.
“Visitors to the market dropped by more than half its usual volume.
“Fresh ingredients cannot be stored for long and traders choose to remain closed to avoid wastage of the supply.
“They rather close and wait for the situation to stabilise, ” he said.
Tan assured that there had been no new cases reported in the cluster within the last three days and hoped that business would resume soon to support the livelihood of the traders there.