THE hawker and non-halal meat sections at the Bagan Ajam Market will be closed for another 10 days until May 27 following the detection of eight more new cases Covid-19.
Seberang Prai City Council (MBSP) mayor Datuk Rozali Mohamud said the move was necessary in view of the reported new cases and that 17 vendors had failed to turn up for swab tests.
The wet market remains open during this period of time.
“The vendors did not take their tests even after being contacted by the north Seberang Prai district health office.
“We urge these vendors to contact the district health office and take their tests, or to update their test results if they have taken the tests at private clinics.
“If they still do not contact the district health office, we will deliver notices to their houses via a joint operation involving the police, MBSP and Health Ministry officials.
“The notice is to remind them to contact the district health office for their appointments.
“If they still fail to show up after this, then enforcement action will be taken under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988 (Act 342), ” he said in a statement after visiting the Bagan Ajam Market yesterday.
The Bagan Ajam Market was earlier ordered to close after 43 positive cases were confirmed in the market out of all those screened on May 12.
Dubbed the Terbilang Cluster, it is believed to be the first cluster in which the contact tracing yielded a 100% positivity rate.
The index case was a 49-year-old Malaysian who tested positive on May 5 after showing symptoms on April 28.
Rozali also encouraged all vendors, besides the ones who were called up by the Health Ministry, to undergo swab tests.
Penang local government committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo, who also visited the market yesterday, said the local councils would station more frontliners at markets to ensure SOP compliance.
“We will continue to monitor the public markets, daily markets, food complexes and vendors as well as visitors to ensure SOP compliance.
“So far, we have closed 1,357 premises on the island and 1,619 premises on the mainland since March 18 last year due to non-compliance of SOP.
“We will take action if there is any SOP violation. We hope everyone will be mindful of that, ” he told reporters after the visit.
Jagdeep also said a total of 681,266 people in Penang had registered for the National Covid-19 Immunisation Programme, adding that 120,965 of them were vaccinated as of May 15.
He said nationwide, a total of 10.14 million people had registered for the vaccination programme, with 1.92 million people receiving their jabs as of May 15.
“We hope more people will register themselves and get their vaccines soon, ” he said.