SHAH ALAM: The Selangor government, through local councils, will continue monitoring all Ramadan bazaars under the state to ensure compliance with standard operating procedures (SOP).
"The state government and Mentri Besar have warned that Ramadan bazaars will be closed if the organisers are unable to manage the crowd and ensure compliance with SOP," said Selangor local government, public transportation and new village development committee chairman Ng Sze Han after launching a new Smart Selangor bus route.
"We also encourage traders to join the state's e-kitchen and PLATS (Platform Selangor) programmes, so they have an additional source of getting orders instead of relying solely on in-person customers."
Ng said this when asked to comment on the 22 Ramadan bazaars nationwide that were ordered to close by the Housing and Local Government Ministry (KPKT) following the rise in Covid-19 cases.
Two are located in Selangor, namely Puncak Jalil in Seri Kembangan and Cempaka LRT Station in Ampang Jaya.
Meanwhile, the Subang Jaya City Council (MBSJ) clarified that the Ramadan bazaar in Puncak Jalil was not directly managed by the council but instead organised and managed by the Zone 18 Residents Representative Councils (MPP).
"All 100 traders there have proper trading permits and had been complying with the Covid-19 SOP," said MBSJ corporate and strategic management department deputy director Azfarizal Abdul Rashid.
"After we received KPKT's directive, MBSJ's licensing department worked with Zone 18 MPP to distribute notices on the Ramadan bazaar's closure to all affected Puncak Jalil traders yesterday (April 30)."
The closure is for three days starting May 1.
"However, this matter is subject to government directives from time to time. The bazaar's reopening is subject to approval from the National Security Council (NSC), KPKT or state government," said Azfarizal.
KPKT secretary-general Datuk Zainal Abidin Abu Hassan said in a statement on Friday (April 30) that several Ramadan bazaars under the supervision of local authorities had been instructed to close beginning May 1.
"The ministry has received a report from the Hotspot Identification by Dynamic Engagement (HIDE), which has identified several bazaars that are a threat and can spread Covid-19 infection.
"This threat was identified through contact tracing analysis performed by the Health Ministry through the MySejahtera app.
"These bazaars have to cease operations to curb and control the infection as well as the increase in positive Covid-19 cases," he said.
"The HIDE system is intended to serve as an early warning in preventing a Covid-19 outbreak using data from the MySejahtera app," said KPKT's corporate communications unit in a subsequent statement.
"The HIDE report has shown that there is a high number of close contacts among visitors and traders at the identified Ramadan bazaars.
"As of April 15, a total of 904 positive Covid-19 cases that were reported had a history of visiting or were infected by individuals who visited the 22 bazaars."
The other bazaars identified as high-risk spots include: Belatuk Taman Scientex, Kampung Pasir in Jalan Mata Kucing, Mart Kempas and Lok Heng in Johor; Taman Selasih, Baling 2021 and Kupang 2021 in Kedah; Lurah Semantan and Temerloh Jaya in Pahang; Bazar Nanas Kampung Selabak in Perak; MPKK Jalan Tenggiri, Attakwa Taman Bertam Indah, Kampung Melayu, Masjid Daerah Barat Daya, Jalan Berangan, Bukit Gedung and Taman Tun Sardon in Penang; Taman Setiawangsa and Jalan Raja Alang in Kuala Lumpur.