SHAH Alam City Council (MBSA) had defended the actions of its enforcement officers who seized several stalls set up by illegal traders in Setia Alam earlier this month after a video of the operation went viral.
The video uploaded online on April 20, believed to be taken by one of the traders whose stall was seized by the council, garnered more than 100,000 views, with some claiming the action as being high-handed.
MBSA corporate and public relations head Shahrin Ahmad, in a statement, said the council acted on the illegal traders operating at Jalan Setia Gemilang BG U13/BG, Section U13, Shah Alam following complaints by Ramadan bazaar traders along Jalan Setia Perdana BB U13/BB, Setia Alam.
“The council had allocated space along Jalan Setia Perdana BB U13/BB for the Ramadan bazaar traders.
“However, there are a handful of illegal traders operating just outside the bazaar area.
“Ramadan bazaar traders felt it was unfair to them as they had to pay for the permit while the illegal traders did not.
“Having all the bazaar traders in specific locations is also to ensure strict compliance with Covid-19 standard operating procedures, ” he said.
Shahrin added that MBSA had also offered incentives to Ramadan bazaar traders who registered with the council this year.
“For example, an RM50 subsidy was given to traders who had successfully applied for a permit to do business at the Ramadan bazaar.
“We had also given a two-month exemption on the night market and morning market licence fee at the start of the movement control order, ” he explained.
To date, 1,476 Ramadan bazaar permits have been given to traders operating under MBSA’s jurisdiction.