IN AN about-turn, Sibu Central Market is now allowed to operate, but only for those selling essential goods.
The market, which houses 1,200 traders, was closed from April 17 to 23 due to the enhanced movement control order which was extended from seven zones to the entire district.
Sibu divisional disaster management committee chairman Wong Hee Sieng said seven zones comprising Sukun/Lada, Mantis, Poh Yew, Bukit Lima, Tong Sang, town centre and Tiong Hua had been placed under enhanced MCO.
The districts of Selangau and Kanowit were also placed under enhanced MCO from 12.01am on April 22 to 11.59pm on April 26.
He said previously those in businesses deemed as essential services were required to apply for police permits but now, this requirement had been dispensed with.
“We are doing away with the requirement, so there is no need for them to apply for the permit anymore, ” he said in a press conference.
With regard to the enhanced MCO being extended to the whole district as well as Selangau and Kanowit districts, Wong said it was due to the spike in Covid-19 cases over the past few weeks.
“The enhanced MCO has been extended as Sibu, Kanowit and Selangau have seen an increase in cases.
“We hope to flatten the curve by implementing the enhanced MCO, ” he said.
Wong, who is also acting Sibu Resident, said the enhanced MCO would be reviewed based on the Covid-19 situation in the three districts.
The public can call 013-999 4158 or 084-323 224 (Sibu Covid-19 Operations Room) for information on the enhanced MCO and standard operating procedure.