ALLOCATIONS for repairs to the Penang High Court building have been approved but work has yet to begin, said Jelutong MP RSN Rayer.
“At the parliament sitting last November, I raised the need for repair work to be expedited at the Penang High Court.
“Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Takiyuddin Hassan said they were going ahead with the repair work.
“We hope that the repair and restoration work will begin soon as promised as the building cannot be used otherwise.
“A few years ago, a large chunk of concrete from the ceiling fell and almost hit a court interpreter.
“Some of the wooden panels have cracks and pose a danger.
“The staircase is unstable as well.
“The building is currently closed as it is unsafe.”
It was reported that in September last year, Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Mohd Zuki Ali declared that the upgrading and restoration of Penang High Court was needed to ensure the smoothness of the management and administration of the judicial system.
“Every project towards the welfare of the people cannot be delayed.
“This project must be hastened, ” he said while paying a visit to the Penang High Court building in George Town.
The 118-year-old heritage building has been closed since 2018 for termite infestation treatment that was recently completed.
However, the overall restoration of the building and infrastructure has been delayed since March 18 last year when the movement control order came into place.
It has been said that RM14.7mil will be needed for upgrading works.