THE Taman Dahlia Bridge in Butterworth, Penang, will be closed to traffic for a week after a lorry hit its height barrier on Friday.
This was the second time the barrier bar, which restricts vehicles more than 2.1m in height and five tonnes in weight, was hit.
The first incident took place on July 31, last year.
Bagan Jermal assemblyman Soon Lip Chee said the lorry owner had been traced and the company agreed to pay for the repair of the barrier.
Soon, who visited the site with Seberang Prai City councillor David Ng and several Village Community Management Council (MPKK) leaders on Saturday, said the bridge was part of the Mak Mandin Flood Mitigation Plan and was completed last year.
He said the bridge would be closed until further notice.
“Repair works will be carried out by the Drainage and Irrigation Department (DID) contractor as it is still under the purview of the department.
“It is yet to be handed over to the Seberang Prai City Council.”
In a day, some 1,000 vehicles use the bridge, which is 8m long and 7.3m wide.
The upgrading and widening of the bridge last year cost RM216,000, with RM168,000 of the sum funded by the Bagan parliamentary service centre and the remaining RM48,000 absorbed by the DID.
“Heavy vehicles are prohibited from using the bridge, ” he said, adding that LED signs had been put up at the bridge to prevent heavy vehicles from plying the bridge.
Soon, in reminding drivers to be more responsible, said the repair cost in the first incident was RM18,000.