THE National Registration Department’s (NRD) plan to open a mobile counter in Sibu Division between Feb 16 and 18 has to be shelved due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The mobile counter was meant to enable stateless people in the division to apply for their personal documents.
It was to cater for rural folk from Long Singut, Engkilili, Lubok Antu, Sungai Asap, Sri Aman, Betong and Bakalan, as well as places like Sibu, Sarikei and Bintangor.
Sarawak Dayak Iban Association (Sadia) Rajang branch chairman Bill Jugah said the mobile counter was a joint effort between the association and NRD.
“We had to cancel it as the Covid-19 situation, especially in Sibu Division and its surrounding area, is still red with no signs of retreating.
“This is for everyone’s safety, ” he added.
However, Jugah said he would submit all applications from stateless people which the association received to the NRD on their behalf.
He said the applications included those who faced issues enrolling in school due to documentation problems.
“They have sent me all supporting documents, ” he added.
Jugah said this was the best approach so as not to delay applications.
“This way, we can avoid a long wait for NRD to look into the cases, ” he added.
He had received more than 500 applications for personal documents since he announced plans for the mobile counter on Nov 12 last year. — By ANDY CHUA