PETALING Jaya City Council (MBPJ) will not recognise any representative from the Housing and Local Government Ministry’s Penggerak Komuniti Tempatan (PeKT) initiative.
Petaling Jaya mayor Datuk Mohd Sayuthi Bakar said this was because the city council was not consulted on the PeKT and was not involved in it.
“Neither did we appoint the representative or would they be reporting to us.
“We do not know who they are or what their duties are.
“The representatives also do not report to the state, ” he added.
Sayuthi said that some PeKT representatives could have confused the public by verbally associating themselves with MBPJ.
“But I have not heard of them using MBPJ logo or Selangor’s coat-of-arms in their dealings.
“I presume city dwellers will know who their MPs and councillors are, ” he said at the local council’s full board meeting yesterday.
On another matter, Sayuthi said the city council had taken some progressive steps to ensure 23 major townships in the city had amenities for the disabled folk, complete with UD (Universal Design) Compliance certification by 2030.
He said MBPJ had come a long way since the barrier-free city initiative in 2000, with the collaboration between the local council, non-governmental organisations, disabled associations and disabled professionals in auditing facilities for people with disabilities.
In line with the government’s commitment towards inclusivity, he said the findings from the audit were then used to improve amenities for the disabled.
“The local council has trained eight technical staff as auditors for the UD Team to audit access for the disabled.
“The UD Team is responsible to audit disabled facilities compliance in every government and private project at 75% progress and again after its completion.
“To assist the UD Team, a SmartUD-PJ dashboard has been created to assist their job.
“The dashboard has data on all UD components, in all projects, park and public facilities, disabled-friendly facilities and disabled carpark.
“These data can then be used to analyse and prepare a report on the status of our obstruction-free city agenda, ” he elaborated.
On dengue, Sayuthi said cases had dropped by 50% compared to the same period last year.
“The 50th week recorded a total of 3,729 cases compared to 7,427 cases in the same period last year.
“There are 13 localities with outbreak and one hotspot, at Palm Spring Kondo 2 in PJU 3 but it ended on Thursday.
“There was only one fatality this year, ” he added.