PJ hawkers given more options to expedite relocation


The affected stall owners in Jalan 13/4, Petaling Jaya, giving their reasons for not relocating.

FOOD stall operators along Jalan 13/4 in Petaling Jaya who refused to move out to make way for infrastructural work, have been given additional options.

Bukit Gasing assemblyman Rajiv Rishyakaran, who met with the operators, offered to help them relocate to other sites.

“For those who are willing to relocate, they can go to Section 17, Kampung Lindungan and Kota Damansara.

“They can choose any vacant stall in a food court or a food truck bazaar.

“I will help them get their licence for these new locations, ” said Rajiv who was helping to mediate the dispute.

On Nov 9, StarMetro reported that the 10 hawker stalls located along the road shoulder were ordered to vacate the premises so that demolition work could take place.

Petaling Jaya mayor Datuk Mohd Sayuthi Bakar said the city council (MBPJ) could not carry out work to shift water pipes located beneath the stalls because the hawkers refused to budge.

The pipes needed to be moved to the opposite side of the road.

Sayuthi said MBPJ had delayed the project several times and this had added to the cost.

He said the hawkers had been given several options for relocation, namely Pasar Besar Jalan Othman, Kompleks C in Jalan Sultan and PJ Midtown in Section 13.

The hawkers’ representative, Md Ismail Kassim, 51, however, said moving from their current location would reduce their income further.

“Our business has already been affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, but at least we still have our customer base here.

“New food courts may not have any vacancies and old food courts will not bring in a steady number of customers.

“A lot of upgrading work elsewhere has been delayed anyway, so we urge the mayor to let us remain at this location for a few more months, ” he said.

He added that they sent a letter to Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari on Sept 30 to inform him about their plight.

“We have yet to receive a reply. But later, MBPJ sent us a letter saying our stalls would be demolished on Dec 1 for the upgrading works.

“We are appealing to the Selangor government to help us pull through the pandemic by remaining at our current location, ” said Ismail.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

82% readers found this article insightful

Next In Metro News

Popular back to school promotion
Bad roads a bane for Klang motorists
Report potholes via app, motorists advised
Council’s unsung heroes patch up potholes night and day
Guidelines for businesses allowed to operate during MCO
Ampang businesses, worksites penalised for violating SOP
Slow business in Sibu division
Civil Defence prepared for floods in Johor
Making that big, bold switch
Club donates foodstuff to needy PPR residents in PJ

Stories You'll Enjoy