Langkawi-Kuala Perlis ferry service resumes operation


A filepic of an employee of Konsortium Ferry Line Ventures Sdn Bhd sanitising one of the ferries to ensure the safety of passengers from Covid-19. — Bernama

THE Langkawi-Kuala Perlis ferry service resumed yesterday after the Federal Government lifted the conditional movement control order (MCO) in Kedah.

Malaysian Marine Department (northern region) said in a statement that the reopening of the ferry service for the route was done with the cooperation of ferry operators and in line with the Government’s decision to end the conditional MCO, which will enable inter-state

travel between states not placed under the restriction order.

“The frequency of the service for this route will be increased to two return trips beginning Sunday at 10.30am and 5.30pm for the Langkawi to Kuala Perlis route; and 10am and 5pm from Kuala Perlis to Langkawi, ” the statement read.

At the same time, beginning today, the ferry service from Kuala Kedah to Langkawi will be back to two trips, at 10am and 5pm, while from Langkawi to Kuala Kedah will be at 10am and 5pm.

Following the implementation of conditional MCO on Nov 9, the Malaysian Marine Department had temporarily suspended ferry service for the Langkawi-Kuala Perlis-Langkawi route while the frequency of the Langkawi-Kuala Kedah-Langkawi route was reduced to a one-way trip.

The statement said that although the conditional MCO had been lifted in Kedah and more trips are being allowed, the department would still maintain the implementation of new norms and standard operating procedures (SOPs) that were introduced at the passenger terminal and jetty and would ensure that ferry operators enforce the SOPs in an effort to control the spread of Covid-19.

The department also urged terminal and jetty users to continue complying with SOPs and practise new norms in their daily activities to break the Covid-19 chain of infection.

On Nov 8, Senior Minister Datuk Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced that the conditional MCO was to be imposed on all states in peninsular Malaysia except Kelantan, Perlis and Pahang from Nov 9 until Dec 6.

He said the decision was made by the National Security Council special meeting following a significant increase in positive cases as well as rate of infections in Kedah, Penang, Perak, Negri Sembilan, Melaka, Johor and Terengganu.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Next In Metro News

Covid-19: Jinjang Utara morning market closed for disinfection from Jan 25 to 27 after two fishmongers test positive
RM20mil state aid for Penangites
Extra two hours to operate appreciated
KL residents keen to grow more insect-friendly plants
Water sample results on lake pollution out soon
Aid and rebates for Pahang flood victims
Move to protect consumers
Gopeng’s small-town charms
Lame excuses for loitering rejected
Online forum for parents to help kids cope with pandemic

Stories You'll Enjoy