A boutique owner, who gave his name only as CK, 39, told StarMetro he would run his business online if a conditional movement control order (MCO) was imposed in this city.
“When the MCO first started in March, we were not prepared and it caused me to lose a lot in business until June.
“It was only in August that I realised it was time to get on a digital platform,” he said, adding that he took an online course on setting up a website and sought the help of his friends.
CK managed to create his website and shortly after the recovery MCO was announced, he launched it and had been making sales online.
“Looking at the current situation, I am mulling over closing down the physical shop and focusing on the online business,” he said.
His online sales has been good enough that he is able to keep his five employees.
“I am lucky that some of them know how to handle the website,” he added.
With the spike in Covid-19 infections nationwide, the conditional MCO has been enforced in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya until Oct 27.
Sabah is under the conditional MCO until Oct 26.
The districts of Perak Tengah, Kinta as well as Larut, Matang and Selama have been classified as yellow zones.
Grocery shop owner Mohd Hanafi Shuib, 42, plans to get more riders for his delivery services.
He has created leaflets and distributed them to nearby residential areas to promote the services.
“In April, we had at least 25 deliveries a day.
“All orders were made via WhatsApp and customers could choose to pay us upon delivery or via online transactions,” he said, adding that he currently had three riders and planned to increase to six.
Meanwhile, a 51-year-old sales executive, known only as Sangeetha, plans to take on part-time jobs to make ends meet.
“My husband lost his job during the MCO but managed to get a part-time job delivering groceries,” she said.