PETALING JAYA: The declaration ceremony to declare Subang Jaya as a city has been postponed due to the conditional movement control order (MCO) but the township will still gain its city status on Oct 20.
“The declaration ceremony has been called off by Selangor Ruler Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah but Subang Jaya will still become a city next Tuesday,” said Selangor Local Government, Public Transportation and New Village Development Committee chairman Ng Sze Han (pic) on Thursday (Oct 15).
Meanwhile, Sultan Sharafuddin’s private secretary Datuk Mohamad Munir Bani in a letter to the Mentri Besar and Subang Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ) president said that the Sultan of Selangor had consented to move the declaration ceremony to a later date.
The letter also stated that Sultan Sharafuddin had consented for a declaration of Subang Jaya’s city status to be made via a media announcement.
The announcement will replace the declaration ceremony for the time being, which was originally set to take place at the Dewan Jubli Perak at the state secretariat building in Shah Alam.
MPSJ which has been a municipality for 22 years had previously received the consent of the Sultan of Selangor that the date of declaration for Subang Jaya City Council will be on Oct 20, 2020, following the green light from the Selangor government in 2019.
The urban township was carved out of the Petaling Jaya district council in 1997 and upgraded to become a municipality at the same time.
Covering 16,180ha, MPSJ’s administration covers Subang Jaya, Bandar Sunway, Putra Heights, Seri Kembangan, Seri Serdang, Puchong as well as parts of Balakong and Batu Tiga.