EFFECTIVE Oct 1, Selayang Municipal Council (MPS) will be imposing a fee of RM50 for the assessment tax transfer process (Forms I and J).
MPS said in a statement that the fee would be borne by the seller, buyer or property owner’s representative, depending on the type of form and transaction.
The transfer process for rateable holding (pegangan berkadar) is based on Section 160 of the Local Government Act 1976 (Act 171), which states that:
• Whenever any rateable holding within a local authority’s area is sold or transferred, it shall be the duty of the seller or transferrer and the purchaser or transferee, within three months after such sale or transfer, to give notice to the local authority in Form I of the First Schedule.
• Whenever the owner of any rateable holding within a local authority area dies, it shall be the duty of the person becoming the owner, by succession or otherwise, to give notice to the local authority within a period of one year of the death in Form J of the First Schedule.
Any property owner who fails to give any notice shall, upon conviction, be liable to a fine not exceeding RM2,000 or be jailed for not more than six months, or both.
Property owners can get a copy of Forms I and J at the Property Management and Valuation Department’s counter at MPS’ headquarters, MPS branch office counters or via www.mps.gov.my
The documents required for the transfer process are as follows:
• A copy of the transferrer or transferee’s identity card;
• A copy of the land title, sale and purchase agreement or auction contract (one set); and
• A copy of the latest fully paid assessment tax receipt.
For enquiries, call MPS’ Property Management and Valuation Department at 03-6126 5906/ 5907/ 5908.
Did you find this article insightful?