Media industry award to be held next month


Some 27 companies and government agencies contributed a combined total of RM335,000 for the MPI-Petronas Malaysian Journalism Awards which will be held on Sept 11.

THE MPI-Petronas Malaysian Journalism Awards will take place on Sept 11 after it was postponed in April due to the movement control order (MCO).

The prestigious annual award that began in 1981 sees media practitioners in the country vie for the coveted Kajai award which offers a RM30,000 cash prize.

Malaysian Press Institute (MPI) chief executive officer Datuk Dr Chamil Wariya said the institute received 522 submissions when deadline closed on Jan 14.

“A total of 306 participants from 32 media companies, including print, broadcast and news portal, took part,” he said, adding that this was an increase from last year’s 268 participants.

Sixteen categories are available, including the new “Best Multimedia Reporting” which replaced the “Best News Portal Reporting” category introduced in 2015.The winner of each category will walk away with a RM10,000 cash prize.

“The ‘Best Photo’ category received the highest number of participants at 50 while the ‘Best Editorial Cartoon’ received only four, which was the lowest,” said Chamil at a cheque presentation ceremony with corporate sponsors of the awards.

Also present was Star Media Group Bhd executive content officer Brian Martin who received a RM7,500 mock cheque on behalf of MPI from Public Bank marketing communications department public affairs division manager Mirhani Cecilia Abdul Rahman Heinrich.

Chamil thanked the 27 corporate bodies and governmental agencies for their combined contributions worth RM335,000.

“The contributions are in the form of table booking, cash and door gifts for the attendees of the award presentation on Sept 11.

“This contribution amount is not inclusive of the RM300,000 cash sponsorship from Petronas, which will be given to award winners,” he said, adding that Petronas had sponsored the event since 1994.

Chamil reminded attendees of the Sept 11 award to comply with the MCO standard operating procedures.

“Mask-wearing is compulsory and everyone must have their temperature taken prior to entry, in addition to observing a minimum of one-metre physical distancing.

“Until a vaccine is found, this is the new norm that we all must adhere to,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Next In Metro News

Business events industry players want govt to ease restrictions on trade and travel
Regular exhibition-goers relate the benefits
‘Reopen transit centre for homeless’
Sepang public toilets cleanest of them all, councillors told
Deal enables cashless wages for construction workers
E-vouchers to drive domestic tourism
Loyalty pays off in lucky draw contest
FUN TIME FOR FOODIES
Upbeat about hosting world IT meet in 2022
Big relief with Budget passing

Stories You'll Enjoy