RESIDENTS are crying foul over traffic congestion caused by businesses that have been operating for years from a row of houses along Jalan Mahsuri in Bayan Baru.
Penang MCA liaison committee secretary Yeoh Chin Kah said the affected residents in Bayan Baru wrote to the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) about the matter last month but to no avail.
“The row of houses along the main road has been converted to businesses ranging from used car businesses to restaurants and workshops.
“During the peak hours, cars parked outside the premises block traffic and cut the flow from three to two lanes.
“This has led to unnecessary traffic jams, ” said Yeoh during a press conference at the Penang MCA headquarters in Jalan Transfer on Thursday.
He added that residents were also blaming the businesses for the increase of flooding in the area.“Residents suspect that the operators dump their food waste and sludge into the drains.”
Yeoh said the residents were not against the businesses operating but hoped relevant authorities could listen to their woes.
“We wish to ask MBPP if such conversions are permitted and if action can be taken.
“If the businesses are found to be illegal, we hope the state can work on legalising them, ” said Yeoh.
MBPP councillor Andrew Chua Thian Chai said the conversion had not been approved so far.
“We are still discussing the guidelines for them to convert.
“We cannot just close the businesses down.
“Solutions are needed to ensure we get a win-win conclusion, ” he said.
Did you find this article insightful?
75% readers found this article insightful