TRADERS and shoppers at morning and night markets in Selangor are generally compliant with the standard operating procedures (SOP) set by the government.
State local government, public transportation and new village development committee chairman Ng Sze Han said it was good to see residents and traders strictly observing the guidelines.
“This is a positive step moving forward with the new normal, ” he said during a walkabout at the morning market in Taman Puchong Indah.
Joining him was Subang Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ) licensing director Muhammad Azli Miswan among other council representatives.
Ng, who is Kinrara assemblyman, said the business folk there and shoppers were using face masks, signing in with their details and sanitising their hands before entering the market.
“I am extremely happy about this. We all have to play our part to keep safe and ensure we follow the guidelines, ” he said.
Local councils also conducted regular inspections to check on foreign traders as they were no longer allowed to run businesses in Selangor, he said.
“We have conducted 206 operations so far with 6,236 premises inspected and there have been 364 cases of premises involving foreign workers. We have taken action against those flouting the rules.
“Some of these 364 premises were owned or rented by foreigners and we have dealt with them accordingly, ” he added.
On the topic of face masks becoming compulsory from Aug 1, Ng advised Selangor residents and business owners and their staff to continue abiding by the guidelines, especially in public places.
“Sanitise your hands and maintain social distancing and do not forget to use the Selangkah system before entering a market or business premises, ” he added.
Azli said MPSJ would also continue to conduct checks on morning and night markets to ensure guidelines were followed.
“We will not hesitate to suspend or revoke licences of traders.
“Enforcement officers will be on the lookout for shoppers and traders who do not observe the guidelines.
“We noticed that shoppers were bringing their children to these markets and there were even heated arguments between parents and officers.
“We hope parents can understand that young children are not allowed at these places, ” said Azli.
On the flood mitigation project near IOI Mall Puchong, Ng said it would be completed by February next year.
“We hope residents will be patient as we are aware of the hardship that everyone goes through every time there is a downpour, ” he said.
Did you find this article insightful?