“The report on why a sinkhole happened should be made public as it involves public safety,” said Klang MP Charles Santiago.
“A fresh geological study should also be done from the sinkhole site until the end of the Johan Setia Light Rail Transit 3 (LRT3) Station to review the soil condition.
“The geological study for the LRT3 project was completed in 2014. That may not be reflective of the situation now as the estimated 2km stretch sits on peat soil.”
(Peat soil is formed from partially decomposed plant material under anaerobic water saturated conditions. It is also known for its high compressibility and low stability.)
Santiago said results of the geological study should be made public to provide assurance to the people, particularly those in Bandar Parklands, Kota Bayuemas and Kampung Johan Setia.
“I will speak to Prasarana chairman Datuk Seri Tajuddin Abdul Rahman to rethink and perhaps delay the reopening of the sinkhole site until all necessary reports and studies are completed.
“I have also written to Prasarana to consider providing a subsidy to haulier companies affected by the road diversion due to the sinkhole.
“The hauliers have agreed to get their trucks to use a longer route via the Shah Alam Expressway (Kesas) and South Klang Valley Expressway (SKVE) to go to Port Klang, but this is also more expensive as it costs an additional RM40 per round trip,” he said.
Santiago noted that the sinkhole was the second LRT3 construction- related incident in recent weeks, after a steel truss collapsed in Meru last month, and that such issues were barriers to economic development.
He added that a copy of the report and study should be submitted to the Selangor Economic Action Council.
Santiago was speaking during a dialogue with some 30 resident representatives from Bandar Parklands and Kota Bayuemas to provide an update following the sinkhole incident on July 20.
Also present at the dialogue held at Hospice Klang in Kota Bayuemas were representatives from LRT3’s main project contractor MRCB George Kent Sdn Bhd (MRCBGK), Klang Municipal Council, police and Klang Public Works Department.
A representative from MRCBGK said the company had taken all necessary preventive action to reroute traffic and ensure public safety at the sinkhole site.
“A consultant has been engaged to investigate the cause of the incident.
“While we do not want to speculate on what happened, initial investigations revealed that the site contains peat soil and that rain and heavy vehicles may have contributed to the problem,” he said.
The representative added that the stop-work order that had been issued on the work package contractor would be extended until investigation on the sinkhole was completed and all preventive measures were in place.
MRCBGK also briefed residents on the latest traffic management plan for Jalan Langat, which also affects traffic at Jalan Johan Setia, Jalan Pendamaran, Persiaran Delima, Jalan Bayu 2/KS9, Jalan Kebun Tambahan and B129 Jalan Kebun Baru Batu 9.
Among concerns raised by residents during the dialogue were safety measures, personnel manning the traffic diversion, traffic management during peak hours and heavy vehicles using alternative routes that pass through residential areas.
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful