Blood donation drive tomorrow


  • Metro News
  • Thursday, 16 Jul 2020

PRINCE Court Medical Centre (PCMC) will be holding a blood donation drive at its premises tomorrow to help raise supply at the National Blood Centre (PDN).

National Blood Centre deputy director 1, Dr Tun Maizura Mohd Fathullah said, “During the movement control order in March and April, there was a 40% decrease in our blood collection supply compared to the same period last year.

“We faced huge challenges as most of our planned mobile blood drives had to be cancelled.”

She said 80% of the total blood collection comes from mobile blood drives and the remaining 20% is collected from blood collection centres.

Dr Tun Maizura said Malaysia needed around 2,000 bags of blood a day for 1,000 patients on a daily basis.

The average amount of blood supplied by PDN to the government and private hospitals in the Klang Valley is nearly 3,500 blood bags a week – equivalent to between 500 and 600 blood bags per day – which is why it is crucial for the centre to maintain its blood stocks.

As of July 9, supply of blood types O and AB were sufficient while blood types A and B were still in need of replenishment.

PCMC’s Dr Muhd Zanapiah Zakaria said, “Covid-19 is a respiratory disease. As such, it cannot be contracted through blood donation or the usage of needles.”

In light of the pandemic, PCMC has taken safety measures, which include thermal screening upon arrival; health declaration forms; frequent cleaning of the hospital (i.e. lifts are sanitised every two hours); social distancing; and all frontliners are equipped with PPE.

For tomorrow’s drive, only six donors are allowed at any one time inside the blood donation room and all donors are required to fill up a questionnaire to ensure they are healthy individuals.

The full list of requirements to be a donor is on PDN’s website at www.pdn.gov.my.

The blood donation drive will be held from 8.30am to 3.30pm at the Human Resource Training Room, Level 1 at PCMC at Prince Court Medical Centre.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site