SELANGOR is in the process of confiscating land in Johan Setia where open burning is prevalent.
State environment, green technology, science, technology, innovation and consumer affairs committee chairman Hee Loy Sian told StarMetro it was not easy as it took time to locate the landowners who do not live in Selangor.
“We hope to finalise the procedure within this year, ” he said.
During the state assembly sitting yesterday, Dr Idris Ahmad (PKR-Ijok) had asked if Selangor would take more serious action against repeat offenders.
“Will the state take away the rights and land of landowners who repeatedly allow open burning on their land?” he asked.
Dr Ahmad Yunus Hairi (PAS-Sijangkang) had asked about open burning in the area over the past three years.
In reply, Hee said data showed that there was a decrease this year compared to the same period (January to June) last year.
This year, from Jan 1 to June 20, there were 982 complaints about open burning, with 992 last year. In 2018, the number stood at 488 and 418 complaints were recorded in 2017.
A total of 14 compounds have been issued this year, with 49 last year, 62 in 2018 and 24 in 2017.
However, Ahmad Yunus said open burning may have decreased due to the movement control order (MCO).
Meanwhile, Speaker Ng Suee Lim said the state government had spent around RM300,000 to prepare for the state assembly sitting.
The cost was borne by MBI Selangor, a corporate body established to administer assets and investments of the state government.
“Expenses incurred also included the cost of carrying out Covid-19 tests for all those invited to attend the meeting, including journalists, and also to buy equipment such as a facial recognition scanner, ” said Ng.
“The expenditure also included the cost of buying packed food for attendees.”
At the start of the sitting, Ng announced that all 678 people screened last week tested negative for the virus.
Did you find this article insightful?
50% readers found this article insightful