Concerted efforts by local authorities and the public to keep dengue fever at bay are paying off.
The number of dengue cases in Selangor has decreased by 16.8% this year compared to the same period last year.
To-date, 31,007 cases have been reported, with 876 new cases reported between June 28 and July 4.
Selangor health, welfare, women empowerment and family committee chairman Dr Siti Mariah Mahmud said weekly figures showed an improvement in the number of dengue cases reported but there had been one death last week, bringing the total number of deaths to 30.
“In the same period last year, 34 deaths were reported.
“This means there has been a 11.8% decrease in the number of deaths this year.”
She urged the public to remain vigilant and spend at least 10 minutes a week checking their houses for potential mosquito breeding grounds.
In Klang, residents have been actively organising gotong-royong sessions as well as search-and-destroy programmes to stop the spread of dengue.
Sentosa assemblyman G. Gunaraj said that in his constituency, the state Health Department had been actively carrying out search-and-destroy programmes.
“We have held four gotong-royong sessions already.”
He said that as a result of these efforts, the dengue rate in the area had decreased.
Shah Alam City Council (MBSA) officers have also been busy handing out pamphlets on dengue prevention in neighbourhoods in the state capitol and checking for potential mosquito breeding grounds.
MBSA Corporate Communications head Shahrin Ahmad said there were 4,758 cases recorded in Shah Alam since January.
“Our officers have been making their rounds to search and destroy breeding grounds.”
He added that the city council officers also went around housing and commercial areas to carry out larviciding, fogging as well as search-and-destroy tasks.
Did you find this article insightful?