JOHOR BARU: Johoreans are reminded to be extra cautious with their personal data and not click on suspicious links sent via email or through social media platforms as it could make them vulnerable to phishing attacks.
Pasir Gudang MCA public complaints deputy bureau chief Ang Tun Chek said they had received many reports about customers’ data being stolen, resulting in monetary losses amounting to thousands of ringgit.
“If you are applying for a loan or credit card, just go straight to the bank; do not make any applications at the mall, supermarket or via social media platforms as important personal details may be transferred outside the bank’s jurisdiction.
“Banks are not responsible for any information that you have personally revealed to outsiders, ” he said when met by reporters at the Pasir Gudang MCA office.
Ang said to date, the department had received three reports of fraud involving an online selling platform which allowed scammers to hack into the victim’s social media account and send out requests for financial transactions from their contacts.
“Some of the online platforms are not secure and a person can use a fake account to register and conduct scams, ” Ang said, adding that police would find it difficult to track down the culprit.
Meanwhile, a 39-year-old man is in dire straits after his credit card details were used for unauthorised online transactions amounting to RM12,000 in March.
The victim, Ho Boon Siang, said he started using the credit card in January this year to pay for petrol and grocery.
He found about the fraud when he went to the bank after his card was rejected when he attempted to pay for petrol on March 10.
“I discovered that there were five transactions made on March 8 amounting to RM9,000 through a mobile app that allows you to send and receive money.
“I requested the bank to freeze the card but another transaction, for RM3,000, was made on March 10, ” he said, adding that the bank said it had been unable to stop the transaction in time.
Ho said he believed his account had been hacked and personal data including credit card details stolen as he did not receive any SMS notification about the transactions. He subsequently made a police report on March 11.
The father of two, who is currently unemployed, said the fraud case had left him struggling to survive as he was living off his savings.
“I previously worked as a wiring technician but have been jobless since the movement control order (MCO) started. The money that was stolen was my hard-earned savings and now I am burdened with a RM12,000 debt and the threat of bankruptcy, ” he said.
Meanwhile, Ang hoped the bank would speed up investigations into the case.
“It has been two months since the incident occurred and the victim has been given the runaround, with no solutions in sight, ” he said, adding that credit card users should always be careful when making any transaction.
“Users should always conduct regular checks on their transactions and if they find any suspicious deduction, alert the police immediately, ” he said.
Meanwhile, Johor police chief Comm Datuk Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay confirmed receiving a report on the case.
Did you find this article insightful?
61% readers found this article insightful