SIBU: The 400 traders at the central market here have been told to continue trading on alternate days during the recovery movement control order (MCO) period until further notice.
When the MCO was implemented on March 18, the traders were divided into two groups and ordered to do business on alternate days to prevent the spread of Covid-19.Sibu Municipal Council (SMC) market and petty traders committee chairman Albert Tiang said local authorities would deliberate the matter on June 17.
“We will discuss the standard operating procedure (SOP) needed before trading at the central market can go back to normal, ” he said.
Tiang however felt that since the country was now in the recovery phase of the MCO, the restriction should be lifted.
“We should be trading like before but under the new normal where the SOP needs to be followed, ” he said.
On the food court at the Rejang Park market which has been closed since March 18, he said it was the operators’ decision not to resume business as most of them were elderly and more vulnerable to Covid-19.
“Considering their age, they have the right to make that decision.
“This is also the same with their counterpart in Jalan Tiong Hua market.
“There are only two hawkers who have reopened their stalls while others have remained shut, ” he added.
On the Sunday Market, Tiang said it would remain closed for now unlike the night market which was set to reopen on June 17.
“We will only allow the reopening of the Jalan Mahsuri Sunday Market in July. This is because we want traders to register and apply for a temporary trading licence first, ” he emphasised.He said the move was to set things in order as previously anybody could trade there after paying a minimal fee.
“We are also considering setting aside 90% of the space for sale of local produce and 10% for imported stuff, ” he said.
Did you find this article insightful?