State local government committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said this after checks were conducted at 155,379 outlets on the island and 219,391 more on the mainland.
“We did not reach a full 100% compliance but the rate recorded so far is great.
“We will continue to monitor these food premises from time to time.
“The state will not compromise with those who fail to adhere to the SOP during this conditional movement control order (MCO).
“Our top priority is to ensure public and health security,” he said during a press conference after a spot check at a nasi kandar outlet in Burmah Road on Sunday.
Jagdeep said the outlet was earlier ordered to close for a week by Penang Island City Council after checks found that the outlet did not comply with the SOP.
The shop was allowed to reopen on Sunday after the shopkeeper took steps to adhere to the SOP.
Council mayor Datuk Yew Tung Seang, who was present, said they also ordered one sundry shop to close.
“The nasi kandar outlet in Burmah Road was ordered to close as it did not record the details of customers and was found to be too crowded,” said Yew.
“The sundry shop in Jalan Gurdwara was also found to be too crowded.
“The council will continue to monitor all premises that allow dine-ins.”
Yew added that the state Health Department had also ordered a food outlet in Karpal Singh Drive to close for non-compliance.
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful