KUALA TERENGGANU: Terengganu police have reminded the people not to violate the conditional movement control order (MCO) by gathering at public places.
State police chief Datuk Roslee Chik said at this stage a fine of RM1,000 would be imposed on those violating the order by crowding public areas such as the Batu Burok beach, Syahbandar Square, Pesisir Payang and the open space near the iconic drawbridge.
“For now only a compound will be issued as we did during the second MCO. But if anyone remains defiant, we will detain, remand and charge them in court, ” he said.
He said this in response to an image of rubbish and food strewn across the open area on the north side of the drawbridge which went viral on social media.
Kuala Terengganu mayor Shahidan Embok said he received complaints that the public had been thronging the Batu Burok public park at night.
Following this, he said the Kuala Terengganu City Council had taken measures to prevent them from gathering in the area by monitoring and closing the park at 10pm.
Meanwhile, the Terengganu Health Department is conducting Covid-19 screening on more than 300 traders in stages at the Gong Pauh Wholesale Market here since last Thursday.
State Health director Dr Nor Azimi Yunus said the screenings were done as proactive measures although there had not been any positive cases involving the traders.
“They willingly cooperate and understand that the purpose of the screening is to prevent the spread of the virus since the market is often crowded with shoppers, ” she said.
The department advised traders and the public to maintain social distancing, wear face masks and wash their hands frequently to stay safe from the virus while shopping for necessities at the market. —Bernama