Hotels suffer big losses


  • Metro News
  • Friday, 08 May 2020

KUANTAN: The hotel industry in Pahang has recorded RM500mil in income losses throughout the four phases of the movement control order (MCO) following the Covid-19 pandemic.

Pahang tourism, environment and plantations committee chairman Datuk Seri Mohd Sharkar Shamsudin said the loss was incurred when three, four and five-star hotels offering more than 38,000 rooms were unable to operate as usual during the MCO period.

He said budget hotel operators lost about RM60mil in income following the pandemic.

“The tourism industry is suffering a bigger total loss compared to other industries because people cannot move during the MCO, which is implemented to curb the transmission of Covid-19.

“We expect that this industry could only be revived, at the earliest, in the third quarter of next year since large gatherings and tourism activities are not encouraged at least for six months after MCO is lifted, ” he added.

Mohd Sharkar said this at a media conference here after announcing the February winner for “Pahang Simply Awesome” short video contest organised by Tourism Pahang in conjunction with the previously planned Visit Malaysia 2020.

He urged people to travel domestically once the MCO was lifted, in order to help revive Malaysia’s tourism industry.

According to him, more than 1,000 tourism industry players in Pahang — specifically daily wage earners such as tour guides and boat drivers at Taman Negara --- who are affected by the MCO, received assistance in the form of basic necessities and cash.

Meanwhile, Aereon Wong Seng Yue from Cheras, Selangor, was announced the video contest winner for February, receiving a cash prize of RM3,000.

Mohd Sharkar said the contest, scheduled to run until end of the year, had been postponed until the MCO was lifted. — Bernama

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

85% readers found this article insightful

Across the site