MOTORISTS from Penang island wishing to travel to Batu Kawan on the mainland via the second Penang bridge can do so only via the entry point in Batu Maung for now.
Southwest district OCPD Supt A. Anbalagan said this would mainly affect motorists travelling from George Town along the Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway.
He added that vehicles heading to Batu Kawan could use the second Penang Bridge by going further up, making a U-turn at the Batu Maung roundabout and use the slip road to get on the bridge.
Supt Anbalagan said the closure was meant to limit the movement of people in the southwest district.
“This closure is to ensure there is only one entry point and one exit point to the second Penang bridge during the movement control order (MCO), ” he said.
Meanwhile, the flyover along Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah in Penang has been closed to traffic from George Town heading to Bayan Lepas following the extension of the MCO.
Supt Anbalagan said Bayan Lepas-bound vehicles taking the flyover from near the Pesta site in Sungai Nibong are being diverted to the roads under the flyover since 8am yesterday.
He, however, noted that the flyover would still be open to traffic from Bayan Lepas heading towards George Town.
A check by The Star showed that police safety cones were placed at the entrance of the flyover along Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah as several police officers on duty advised motorists to use the alternative roads.
This is the eighth roadblock mounted by police to limit public movement especially in the southwest district, he added.
Supt Anbalagan said more than 180 factories in the area were allowed by the Ministry of International Trade and Industry to continue operations during the MCO.
“Many people who travel in this area are factory workers who are given permission to carry out their duties in the factories.
“We hope that the public will reduce unnecessary movement, ” he said when met at a roadblock near the Caltex petrol station in Sungai Nibong yesterday.
Supt Anbalagan also said that police arrested 79 individuals for disobeying the MCO, mostly for having illegal gatherings outside their homes and moving around without valid reasons.
“Of the 79 individuals arrested, 31 are foreigners.
“We also arrested several individuals for violating the MCO and some were found having drugs and the cases are being investigated.
“I urge employers to inform their foreign workers to not violate the MCO which is extended till April 28, ” he said.
Supt Anbalagan also noted that there were also people headed to the banks as many patronised the EPF kiosks and to open i-Lestari accounts to register themselves as they were not tech-savvy enough to apply through online.
“So far, we have reached a compliance rate of almost 99%.
“Though the movements are more in the day, the reasons given by the public are mostly valid.
“We urge the people to work hand in hand with the police and government to break the Covid-19 chain of infection, ” he said.
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful