A total of 27 SMEs and 12 government agencies were scheduled to attend the one-month carnival.
State domestic and international trade, consumer affairs and entrepreneur development committee chairman Datuk Abdul Halim Hussain said the state government called off the plan after considering the Health Ministry’s advice.
“We would have benefited from 5,000 visitors daily on weekdays and 10,000 during weekends at the event but we decided in the best interest of all not to attend,” said Abdul Halim at a recent press conference at Komtar.
He had made the statement prior to the Prime Minister’s announcement last night on movement restriction from today till March 31 throughout the country to curb the spread of Covid-19.
Abdul Halim had said that all domestic and international programmes such as Penang International Halal Expo and Conference from Aug 21 to 23, Penang Techfest and World Congress on Information Technology from Sept 11 to 20 and the state’s attendance at Dubai Expo in October would continue as scheduled for now.
Meanwhile, Penang Hindu Endowment Board (PHEB) had earlier advised all temple committees in the state to postpone or cancel religious programmes for large groups in view of Covid-19.
PHEB chairman Dr P. Ramasamy said this would be a pro-active step in curbing the spread of the virus.
He had urged temples to help disseminate accurate information on the spread of Covid-19 to devotees and the need for cleanliness at all times.
Did you find this article insightful?