Regatta cancelled due to virus fears


Various teams from Singapore, China and Malaysia competing in the Penang Dragon Boat Regatta last year. — Filepic

THE Penang Dragon Boat Regatta 2020 scheduled to be held in June will be cancelled due to uncertainties following the Covid-19 outbreak.

Penang tourism development, arts, culture and heritage committee (Petach) chairman Yeoh Soon Hin said they had received many requests from participants for the event to be cancelled or rescheduled.

“Many foreigners had registered for the event,” he said in a statement.

Yeoh said they wanted to ensure a safe and conducive environment for everyone.

“We hope the situation will recover very quickly and that dragon boat race enthusiasts can look forward to joining the Penang International Dragon Boat Festival in December.”

Earlier, it was reported that the Penang Chinese Girls’ School centennial celebration scheduled for this month had also been called off.

Over 10,000 students and alumni from all over the world were supposed to attend the three-day celebration culminating in a grand dinner expected to draw a huge crowd.

Another event which also fell by the wayside was the inaugural Experience Penang Coastal Run 2020 scheduled for March 15.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Metro News

Temporary closure of SS15 market and food court for sanitisation
George Town's Batu Lanchang Market to close after seven traders test positive for Covid-19
Close to 80% of MBSJ workforce fully vaccinated against Covid-19
Rising to help the jobless
Dose of good news after RT-PCR tests
Similar prices for self-test kits sold at pharmacies and online
New life for warehouses, marina
Youths keep hearts open and hands available
Critical support during pandemic
Shelter with 300 cats, including 100 sick ones, bursting at its seams

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers