Action to avert climate crisis


  • Metro News
  • Wednesday, 22 Jan 2020

Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow (middle) and Rozali (with songkok) launching the action plan. With them (from left) are state executive councillors Soon Lip Chee, Jagdeep Singh Deo and Penang Island City Council mayor Datuk Yew Tung Seang.

THE Seberang Prai City Council (MBSP) aims to be a Carbon Neutral City by year 2030 and a Zero Carbon City by 2050, said MBSP mayor Datuk Rozali Mohamud.

He said in order to achieve the targets, the MBSP would see both the Seberang Prai Climate Action Strategy and Low Carbon City Action Plan kicking off.

The Seberang Prai Climate Action Strategy is a strategic document which defines the policy direction of efforts in combating global climate change crisis in Seberang Prai.

The Low Carbon City Action Plan on the other hand outlines the necessary steps to ensure that Seberang Prai reaches the Low Carbon City status by 2022.

Rozali said the Seberang Prai Climate Action Strategy would focus on six sectors to help address climate change issues.

The sectors are waste and secular economy, electric, development and architectural, transportation, agriculture and forestry as well as industrial and business.

“Under these sectors, we are targeting to be a zero waste city by 2030 and reach 50% of renewable energy usage alongside seeing developments based on green building accreditations.

“Besides that, we hope to achieve a 25% public transportation and bicycle usage, while maximising our agricultural and forestry zones as carbon absorption agents.

“Lastly, we want to run businesses based on green elements to reduce carbon production, ” he said during the launching of the Seberang Prai Climate Action Strategy and Low Carbon City Action Plan at MBSP in Bandar Perda, Bukit Mertajam, after the swearing-in of councillors for the 2020 term recently.

Rozali also said that in order to reduce the impact on climate change, MBSP would be forming the Climate Change and Carbon Neutral Unit, the MBSP Climate Change Committee and the Climate Change Council.

“MBSP will also be organising the Seberang Prai Climate Week (SPCW) to provide exposure and consultation sessions to the people in Seberang Prai, ” he said.

He added that under the Low Carbon City Action Plan, five strategies would also be highlighted.

The strategies involve green transportation, green buildings, green infrastructure, sustainable production and usability as well as greenery and absorption.

Through these five strategies, a total of 59 programmes and 83 activities are planned for execution.

Meanwhile, Rozali said they would also be launching an action plan to improve the food grading system at food premises within Seberang Prai.

“Our target is for 70% of premises to achieve grade A and for the other 30% to achieve Grade B.

“As of January this year, we have a total of 13.64% of premises with grade A, 24.75% with grade B and 61.6% with grade C.

“Out of the 2,141 total, 1,319 food premises are holding grade C, 530 premises are holding grade B and 292 premises are with grade A.

“We have started taking steps to realise our targets for 70% of premises to achieve grade A and for the other 30% to achieve Grade B.

“Since September last year, a total of 1,849 operators with Grades B and C have been called to their respective districts for an awareness and improvement programme, ” Rozali said.

He also said that under the newly launched action plan this year, checks on food premises would be held once every six months and integrated enforcement operations would be done once every two months.

“Food cleanliness programmes will also be held every four months, with engagement sessions with food operators twice a year.

“For food premises that are found to be non-compliant with the rules, they will be closed down immediately and their licence for the year 2021 will not be renewed until they comply, ” he added.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site