With Klang Municipal Council (MPK) joining recently, motorists statewide will be able to experience hassle-free street parking payment via their smartphones, including in Kuala Lumpur, next year.
Users no longer need to worry about downloading separate mobile apps when parking at different areas in Selangor. There is also no need to stock up on various parking coupons, especially if their visits to an area in a different municipality are infrequent.
State local government, public transport and new village development committee chairman Ng Sze Han said MDKL would complete the list of the state’s effort to standardise the app for parking payment in Selangor.
“I am glad to say that MDKL will be joining us in two to three months’ time. Once MDKL is officially in, parking payment at 10 local councils in Selangor will be integrated.
“The remaining two local councils in the state, namely Hulu Selangor District Council and Sabak Bernam District Council, are not part of this app because there is no parking fee required for parking in the areas under their respective jurisdiction,” he said during the launch of the SSP mobile app at MPK headquarters.
Ever since its introduction in July 2018, the SSP mobile app has a total of 348,859 users with over one million transactions done.
The first one on board was Petaling Jaya City Council followed by Sepang Municipal, Shah Alam City, Ampang Jaya Municipal, Kajang Municipal and Selayang Municipal councils.
Subang Jaya Municipal Council, Kuala Selangor District Council, Klang Municipal Council and Kuala Lumpur City Hall were added this year.
The SSP app was created by Leading Innovative Technologies and Systems Sdn Bhd in collaboration with Selangor Menteri Besar Incorporated (MBI), through the Smart Selangor Delivery Unit.
“This is one of the smart solutions to handle parking payment and this initiative is in line with the Selangor government’s aim to become a smart state by 2025,” said Ng.
Apart from parking payment, the app also allows users to check and pay compounds, while enforcement officers can also issue compounds via the same app.
It also makes it easy for enforcement officers to check if parking has been paid, all they have to do is key in the car registration number using the app.
For motorists, paying the parking fee is made more convenient too as the app facilitates online payment through credit card, debit card or e-wallet.
Leading Innovative Technologies and Systems chief executive officer (CEO) Lai Thiam Sin said the number of users on the SSP app was increasing every day.
“We get daily downloads and new user registrations of about 3,000 a day, except on weekends where we usually only see about 500 new users,” he said.
Based on his company’s research, they have found that only about 20% are using the parking app while the remaining 80% still choose to use coupons.
“As for those using the app,
20% use it to pay for compounds only, 30% use it for both compound payment and parking while the rest use it solely to pay parking fee,” he said.
Ng announced that users who topped up RM50 would get an additional RM1 credited into their account while those who topped up RM100 would get extra RM3.
Apart from street parking, this app also allows users to pay for “off-street parking” which involves private parking lots.
Users will only need to scan a QR code with their mobile app at entry point in the parking lot to make payment.
Currently, the SSP app can be used at eight off-street parking lots including at Paramount and Asia Jaya LRT stations, Kelana Jaya stadium and near the Atria Damansara hawker stalls in Petaling Jaya.
More locations will be added soon.
MPK president Datuk Mohd Yasid Bidin said motorists had a number of options when it came to paying for parking in Klang, as they could choose to use either the SSP app or MPK’s Smart Parking MPKlang mobile app that was launched in May last year.
“Those who are already paying for parking using our Smart Parking MPKlang app can still do so and do not need to switch yet, until out contract with this provider ends,” he said at the launch of the SSP app in MPK’s Dewan Hamzah.
He highlighted that parking coupons remained an option too, for those who prefer the old-school system, they could continue paying for parking in Klang via that method.
He said MPK enforcement officers issued 219,000 compounds this year, for parking violations that mostly involved expired parking coupons and those who failed to pay for parking.
“We have collected RM10mil in parking coupon sales and parking compounds,” he disclosed.
Yasid added that the feature for compound payment would only be made available to Klangites on the SSP app in the second quarter of 2020.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!
What do you think of this article?