Sg Buloh nursery operators upset over 'high-handed' demolition of their lots


THE Petaling Land and District Office (PTDP) has started the second phase of demolition works on nursery lots in Sungai Buloh, after the first phase early this year, causing much chagrin.

One man was arrested for trying to stop his nursery from being demolished.

Sungai Buloh MP Sivarasa Rasiah called the actions of the PTDP enforcement officers "high-handed" and said he would be lodging a complaint against PTPD district officer Datin Paduka Roslinah Md Jani.

Business owners feel they should be allowed to stay put until relocation issues have been settled.

During a press conference on Friday (Aug 23), Selangor and Kuala Lumpur Landscaping and Nursery Operators Association president Lee Chee Hoong expressed disappointment at the way PTPD handled the matter.

“They should not treat us like squatters. We are an industry, ” said Lee.

Lee said the area’s nursery owners here paid the Selangor Agricultural Development Authority (PKPS) monthly fees from 1999 till 2008 when the state government stopped renewing the nurseries’ Temporary Occupation Licences (TOL)

Starting from RM400, operators paid double the original rate until renewals of TOL were stopped.

Nursery owners say they should be treated with consideration by the state government.

Moreover, Lee said the 82 nurseries operating in the area were capable of generating close to RM50mil in annual turnover.

During the demolition exercise, nursery owner Kenson Lai, who tried to prevent excavators from entering his lot, was taken away by the police.

Some 15 nursery owners, who kept a vigil at the Mutiara Damansara police station where Lai was detained, said he has already been released.

Petaling Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Mohd Zani Che Din said that the case was being investigated under Section 186 of the Penal Code for obstructing a public servant from discharging his duties following a report made by PTDP.

Sivarasa, speaking for his constituents, was not happy with the way PTPD officers behaved.

“Those affected by the demolition exercise today pleaded with enforcement officers to give them another four days to move their structures and plants to their relocated lots in Bukit Cerakah, Shah Alam, ” said Sivarasa.

Their pleas were apparently ignored and their structures and plants were destroyed.

Sivarasa said although eviction notices had been served as early as this April, some owners were unable to move. They did not receive their lot numbers of their new relocation site in Bukit Cerakah until a day before the arrival of the demolition squad.

When contacted, Roslinah declined comment and asked that the matter to be forwarded to Selangor Infrastructure and Public Amenities, Agricultural Modernisation and Agro–based Industry Committee chairman Izham Hashim.


   

Across The Star Online