MBSA gets tough on no-straw policy


A circular was issued to all eateries in Shah Alam on July 1 to inform them of the restrictions against plastic straw use. — Filepic

ENFORCEMENT action will begin soon against eatery operators in Shah Alam caught serving drinks with straws and placing them on counters and tabletops.

“This condition will be included in business licences and enforcement will officially begin in the next three to four months,” said mayor Datuk Haris Kasim at Shah Alam City Council’s (MBSA) full board meeting.

He said a circular was issued to all eateries in the city on July 1 on the no-straw ruling, adding that offenders would not only be slapped with compounds but also stand to have their business licences revoked.

“We are now still in the education phase where our officers will visit eateries to create awareness and inform business owners and operators.

“After a few months, we will begin enforcement.”

The move, said Haris, was in line with the state government’s six-year plan towards a zero plastic straw policy by 2025, launched earlier this month.

All food and beverage outlets, including restaurants, in Selangor have been prohibited from providing plastic straws at the counter to be freely taken by customers since July 1.

On a separate matter, Haris said a proposal was made at the meeting for free parking to be provided to senior citizens.

“A councillor proposed it and I’m open to the idea but we have to study the mechanism carefully before it can be implemented,” he said.

Providing free parking to senior citizens would create a big impact within the community and there is concern that some motorists may take advantage or misuse the privilege, said Haris.

“There are a number of ways to do this. We can, for instance, offer free parking coupons to senior citizens in exchange for bringing in recyclables.”

The meeting also discussed ways to tackle the problem of abandoned vehicles within the council’s jurisdiction.

Currently 499 abandoned vehicles are stored at MBSA’s three car depots at U16, Section 17, Shah Alam and Section 31, Kota Kemuning.

Of the number, 252 will be disposed of soon while the rest are still awaiting feedback from their owners and the police, the latter to ascertain if any of the vehicles are tied to criminal cases.

“It really is difficult to identify the owners, issue a notice and wait for them to remove their vehicles, which most of them don’t.

“So we will have to sit down with the police, Road Transport Department and other parties to see how we can work together to tackle this issue,” said Haris.He revealed there were also more than 500 abandoned vehicles waiting to be towed to the depots if their owners do not claim them.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Metro News

Be disciplined and practice SOP, MPSepang chief warns visitors to Bagan Lalang beach
NGOs send memorandum to MPKL to oppose battery factory
Dose of humanity
Jenjarom battery factory gets go-ahead to reopen
MPAJ to build two bridges to ease congestion in Pandan Mewah
Embedded pavement lights to help pedestrians cross Bukit Bintang junction
Raising awareness of sea turtles
MB: Provide more vaccines to protect those aged 18 and below
Safe zone in Setia Alam for fully vaccinated patrons
Mid-Autumn goodies for Pasir Pinji market traders, customers

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers