Close watch on eateries to protect food haven status


  • Metro News
  • Monday, 22 Jul 2019

Penang Health Department officers closing a dirty outlet earlier this year.

A WHOPPING 120 eateries in Penang have been temporarily shut by the Penang health authorities this year for poor hygienic.

State local government committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said this was part of the initiatives taken to ensure Penang remained a food haven.

“Of the 120 eateries, 52 are on the island, while 68 are on the mainland.

“Many were dirty and failed to carry out pest control,” he said during a press conference in Komtar on Thursday.

Jagdeep said that this year, 1,381 outlets under the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) and 2,141 premises under the Seberang Prai Municipal Council (MPSP) had been graded.

“A total of 463 eateries will soon be graded by Penang Island City Council health officers.

“The state has been actively assessing food premises to ensure that at least 70% achieve Grade A, with the remaining 30% at Grade B.

“Beginning next year, all food premises in Penang must achieve at least Grade B.”

Jagdeep said that to achieve Grade A, premises needed to score between 86 and 100 marks while Grade B required between 71 and 85 marks.

“Premises with a score of below 50 will be ordered to close temporarily and carry out proper cleaning to achieve a hygienic environment.

“To ensure premises meet the regulations set under the Food Act 1983, MBPP and MPSP will also start providing food handling courses twice a week for free.”

He said other initiative were weekly spot checks, food waste management projects and cleanliness competitions.

“We will also be preparing an action plan with the local authorities to look into the safety of food sold in Penang,” he added.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site