Scheme links 11 vocational grads to SME apprenticeship

(Standing, fourth from left) Agil, Youth and Sports Ministry director-general Datuk Dr Wasitah Mohd Yusof, Youth and deputy Sports Ministry secretary-general Datuk M Noor Azman Taib, Bank Negara Malaysia assistant governor Adnan Zaylani Mohamad Zahid and CGC president and chief executive officer Datuk Mohd Zamree Mohd Ishak with the CGC SAS participants during the launch at Lanai Kijang in Kuala Lumpur.

CREDIT Guarantee Corporation Malaysia Bhd (CGC) has launched the second cohort of the CGC SME Apprentice Scheme (SAS).

Consisting of 11 Technical and Vocational Education Training (TVET) graduates from skills development institutions in different states, they will be attached to seven participating micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) for a year.

The MSMEs are from diverse industries, including building maintenance, oil and gas, industrial ventilation, information technology, maintenance, construction and engineering.

The programme aims to equip these graduates with essential skills and hands-on experience to become future entrepreneurs by enabling them to earn as they learn.

“This programme stemmed from our objective to provide a platform for TVET graduates to be gainfully employed and, at the same time, acquire useful practical working experience through on-the-job training, while honing their entrepreneurial skills by working with MSMEs.

“The desired outcome of this programme is to groom TVET graduates to become future entrepreneurs,” said GC chairman Datuk Agil Natt.

He added that by facilitating a link between TVET graduates and industry players, it would also help address the lack of manpower faced by MSMEs, especially when it came to skilled workers.

Under the SAS, CGC sponsors 90% of the programme cost, including monthly salaries, employment benefits and statutory contributions, while MSMEs pay the remaining 10%.

Despite that, there were many challenges in securing the second cohort, with more than 30% of TVET graduates declining the opportunity to be employed by MSMEs, as they were more keen to work for established companies.

In view of this, Agil encouraged TVET graduates to be more open and receptive to new experiences and employment opportunities by adopting a positive approach.

Another challenge was to match the talents of the graduates with the companies’ requirements to ensure a win-win situation.

He said the other challenging task was to match the apprentices’ talents in their respective fields of interest and the requirements of our MSMEs, because of varying levels of commitment, interest and willingness to participate in this programme.

Highlighting the importance of TVET graduates in supporting the country’s growth, Agil said 90% of 13,000 such talents secured employment prior to graduation, which implied a high demand for skilled workers.

CGC previously launched the scheme in May 2017 with its first cohort of 10 TVET graduates and 10 MSMEs.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Next In Metro News

Universiti Malaya Sabah first in state to try new Covid-19 test kit
Glories of our bridges
Six new community halls for Kajang municipality
S’gor urged to reconsider hefty licence renewal fee, tax
Residents in Ipoh want pothole-riddled roads fixed
RM116,000 cash aid for 29 welfare homes
Foundation’s secure channel for food aid
KL hotel’s new general manager equipped for current challenges
Bookstore with a difference
Farmers use hanging fertigation method to grow crops during monsoon

Stories You'll Enjoy