KUALA LUMPUR: Jalan Raja Ramadan bazaar traders have until Tuesday (May 7) to move into the bazaar site, failing which their lot will be forfeited by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) and their names blacklisted.
“The traders are given three days, starting May 5 to move into their given lots,” said DBKL corporate planning director Norhaslinda Nordin in a statement on Tuesday.
“Besides having their lots forfeited and names blacklisted for future bazaar applications, traders who fail to move in by today will also not have their RM1,000 deposit refunded by DBKL.
“The forfeited lots will then be offered to other qualified traders who were unsuccessful in their previous application.”
All 344 trading lots for the Jalan Raja Ramadan bazaar were taken up.
DBKL received a total of 1,448 applications for that bazaar, located between the Sultan Abdul Samad Building and Dataran Merdeka.
The Jalan Raja Ramadan bazaar traders paid RM1,494 each to trade at the site - RM1,000 as deposit, RM465 service charge and RM29 for licence fee.
They are grouped according to five categories: clothing, dry goods, packed food, accessories and home decor.
The Jalan Raja Ramadan bazaar was relocated by DBKL from its previous site at Lorong Tuanku Abdul Rahman (TAR). It is open from 10am to 10pm daily.
“The Jalan Raja bazaar is dedicated to those who want to buy items for Hari Raya Aidilfitri preparations, such as cookies, clothes and household decor,” said Norhaslinda.
“Shoppers who want to buy food for buka puasa can head to the existing eateries and restaurants at Lorong TAR, or other Ramadan bazaars in the city.
“This clear definition on the sale of food and dry goods is also to facilitate cleanliness, hygiene and food quality,” she said, adding that traders at Jalan Raja are not allowed to cook at the site.
Kuala Lumpur mayor Datuk Nor Hisham Ahmad Dahlan had last week cautioned traders against illegally “opening” new trading sites, and that enforcement and legal action would be taken should that happen.
Although there were reports that the Jalan Raja Ramadan bazaar was only partially occupied on the first two days of Ramadan, Norhaslinda said that there was no boycott by the traders.
The Star had reported that Hawkers and Petty Traders Association of Malaysia president Datuk Rosli Sulaiman denied that the Jalan Raja Ramadan baazar site was being boycotted by traders, saying it was “normal for traders to take it easy on the first two weeks of fasting”.
However, Rosli voiced his displeasure at what he felt was an unsuitable location for the Ramadan bazaar, due to lack of easy access to toilets, prayer rooms and parking facilities.
Did you find this article insightful?