Journalist willing to testify before RCI


  • Metro News
  • Saturday, 02 Feb 2019

Arulldas exposed the existence of mass graves at Wang Kelian

FORMER Malay Mail journalist S. Arulldas has said he is willing to testify at the Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) set up to probe the existence of human trafficking camps and graves in Wang Kelian, Perlis.

Arulldas, 64, was instrumental in exposing the existence of the mass graves in 2015.

“My photographer Sayuti Zainudin and I spent several days in the jungles and later came across the migrant prison camps and mass graves where 139 bodies were exhumed.

“There were many days of agony for us as we hiked up several times but never found any evidence of the graves until May 13, 2015.

“On that day, we came across the sites of the graves after entering Thailand through the Padang Besar checkpoint,” he said at a press conference in George Town.

Arulldas, who is now a freelance journalist, won several awards for the exposure including the Suhakam Human Rights Award (print media category) in 2015 and the Malaysian Press Institute (MPI)-Petronas Malaysian Journalism Awards for Excellent Investigation in 2016.

He said an active human rights non-governmental organisation had been in touch with him, urging him to share his experience with the RCI.

Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin had recently said the RCI had been set up, adding that the names of the RCI members would be handed over to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong for consent.

He had said the police previously carried out investigations and prepared reports on the issue but the Government decided to set up the RCI to prevent any misunderstanding or prejudices.


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

What do you think of this article?

It is insightful
Not in my interest

Across The Star Online