ADVERTISEMENT

Action against illegal activities soon


ILLEGAL sand washing and rubbish dumping near the Kampung Bohol flood retention pond near Kampung Muhibbah is still ongoing despite warnings by the authorities.

Following StarMetro’s report – “Sand sediment choking up flood retention pond” – on the sedimentary choking of the pond due to the direct discharge of mud water into Sungai Kuyoh by an unlicensed sand washing operator on Aug 21, residents in the surrounding areas of Jalan Puchong Mesra initially reported activities had quieted down.

However, after several days, diggers and lorries returned to the site to offload rubbish and dig up more sand.

Residents are enraged that the operators are continuing to carry out their activities with impunity.

The Kampung Bohol flood retention pond in its current state.

The Kampung Bohol flood retention pond in its current state.

In a meeting attended by Kuala Lumpur City Hall’s (DBKL) Enforcement, Legal, Economic Planning, Landscape, Valuation and Property Management departments chaired by Civil Engineering and Urban Transportation Department director Abdul Hamid Surip, it was revealed that illegal sand washing and rubbish dumping operations were taking place at Lot 40401.

A search at the Federal Territories Director of Land and Mines Office states DBKL as the owner of the land but it was found that a development company, a subsidiary of a textile company, has a private caveat on the lot. This was registered on Nov 12, 2015.

A check at the One-Stop-Centre portal, showed the lot had been earmarked for the development of affordable housing and service apartments.

In the meeting, DBKL’s Legal and Prosecution Department confirmed that a bank transfer for RM100mil had been received for the land but an official agreement has yet to be signed.

On residents’ complaints over inaction by the authorities, Abdul Hamid said DBKL would not allow trespassers to continue with illegal activities on its land.

“As of January this year, 111 summonses were issued by enforcement officers. A trench was also dug across the entrance of the illegal dumping area to prevent lorries from going into the site in July, however, it was soon filled up by the illegal trespassers,” said Abdul Hamid who also confirmed that the sand operators were carrying out the activity without permit.

Steel hoarding was also put up before this but the sand washing and rubbish landfill operators managed to slip in.

Abdul Hamid also refuted claims that DBKL was overseeing the building of retention ponds at the sand washing site.

“We have never done any inspection nor offered any suggestions. How can we do that when they don’t have a permit in the first place?” said Abdul Hamid.

Citing lack of manpower and the availability of multiple inlets into the area as challenges, Abdul Hamid said action would be taken soon. However, he declined to elaborate on the type of action to be taken against the illegal operators.

“The first thing we will do is put up signboards to proclaim that this is DBKL’s land. This will be a multi-agency operation which will include Director-General of Lands and Mines Department, Immigration Department and Solid Waste Management and Public Cleansing Corporation,” said Abdul Hamid.

Asked who will be responsible for the cleaning up of the sediment-choked pond and heavy silting in the nearby drains, Abdul Hamid said until the illegal activities are brought to a halt, cleaning work would not be carried out as it would be a futile expense.

Central Region , pond sandmining

   

ADVERTISEMENT