ADVERTISEMENT

Councillors across Sabah asked to vacate seats


KOTA KINABALU: Appointed municipal and district council councillors across Sabah are believed to have been asked to vacate their seats by the state government.

In a letter from the Local Government and Housing Ministry informing the affected officials about the matter, it is said their appointments will be revoked by today.

Their initial contract was valid for two years from Jan 1, 2017 to Dec 31, this year.

The letter stated that those involved are from Sandakan, Tawau, Kudat, Pitas, Kota Marudu, Kota Belud, Tuaran, Penampang, Putatan, Papar, Nabawan, and Keningau.

Also affected are councillors from Beaufort, Kuala Penyu, Sipitang, Tenom, Tambunan, Ranau, Beluran, Tongod, Kinabatangan, Lahad Datu, Kunak and Semporna municipal and district councils.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal was tight-lipped about the removal of Datuk Sam Mannan as forestry director amid an ongoing investigation on illegal logging cartels in Sabah.

He said a decision was made to remove Mannan from the post, but responded that “he can’t say” when asked if it had anything to do with the probe during a press conference here.

Shafie said the move was also to ensure that there will be an independent investigation carried out, and that everything is done based on procedures.

Mannan’s contract was terminated and he was given three months’ notice effective Aug 1.

He had been serving as Forestry Department director for nearly two decades.

Graft-busters have been conducting simultaneous raids on logging companies in Sandakan and Tawau last week. The Forestry Department headquarters in Sandakan was also raided.

Government , Sarawak , Councillors , Sabah

   

ADVERTISEMENT