KOTA KINABALU: The Sabah Health Department has not received any reports of bird flu virus infection in humans after Tuaran was declared an outbreak area, says its director Datuk Dr Christina Rundi.
She said the department was working with the Sabah Veterinary Services Department (JPV) to monitor and ensure no individuals had been infected with bird flu.
“We have our own team to check the village and outbreak area as we want to find out whether the virus has been transmitted to humans,” she told reporters after opening the state-level World Breastfeeding Week here.
Dr Rundi said the department was also in full preparedness for bird flu infection and had been conducting simulation exercises for health officers in handling the outbreak.
On Aug 3, Sabah Agriculture and Food Industry Minister Junz Wong declared Tuaran a bird flu outbreak area after tests on a chicken farm in the district turned up positive for bird flu.
Sabah JPV is in the process of culling chickens in the farm following the discovery of the virus.
Meanwhile, the total number of hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) cases reported in Sabah this week was 2,611 cases, up six cases compared to 2,605 on July 27, said Dr Rundi.
Among the districts which recorded the highest cases were Kota Kinabalu with 564, followed by Beaufort (393), Penampang (258) and Sandakan (221).
Dr Rundi said so far 24 schools and nurseries throughout Sabah were still closed following the discovery of HFMD cases in their premises. —Bernama