KUALA Lumpur mayor Tan Sri Mohd Amin Nordin Abd Aziz said the disputed high-rise residential project on a former football field in Bandar Tun Razak, Kuala Lumpur would proceed as scheduled.
This is because the city is unable to compensate the developer millions of ringgit.
“We cannot afford to pay them,’’ said Amin Nordin.
He added that it was not feasible to stop the project as construction was at an advanced stage.
“The project must go on if the work is 15% completed.”
However, Amin Nordin said he would get the developer to bear the cost to build a new football field near Bandar Tun Razak.
“We have identified a piece of land not too far away, and we will explain the matter to the residents,’’ he said.
StarMetro reported on Monday that Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) had issued a stop-work order for the project last week because the early work permit to allow the developer to start work had expired.
The 2.09ha land in Jalan Jujur was a football field used for various recreational activities by residents. However, it was sold to a developer for the construction of a condominium last year.
During his inaugural meeting at DBKL headquarters on July 9, Federal Territories Minister Khalid Abdul Samad said it was unfortunate that construction started before Pakatan Harapan came into power.
“Construction has already started and there will be legal and financial obligations if we terminate the project, and that is our last option.
“We hope to find an amicable solution with the residents,’’ Khalid said.
Last week, a group of residents held a protest at the site to appeal to Khalid and Bandar Tun Razak MP Datuk Kamarudin Jaffar to save the field.
The Save Jalan Jujur Football Field committee lodged a report with Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) in Jalan Cochrane against DBKL over the sale of the land reserved for a football field in 2017.
The high-rise project at the site comprises four blocks, two of which are for low-cost flats.
The 40-storey building on the 2.09ha land will have 1,814 units and the population density will increase from 60 to 1,400 per 0.4ha.
The Save Jalan Jujur Football Field committee expressed disappointment over the decision.
Its secretary Mohamad Saiful Mansur said the land was gazetted as reserved land and agencies like DBKL and the Federal Land and Mines Department (PTG) as well as the former FT Minister must be made accountable for not following the standard operating procedure.
Mohamad Saiful said the football field was gazetted on Nov 24, 2005, as reserved land for public use and the status was changed on Dec 22 last year.
But an application for the project was submitted to DBKL on May 3 last year and it was approved with condition on Oct 18 the same year.
At the point of approval, the land was still reserved land and not handed over to DBKL.
On gazetting the Kuala Lumpur Draft Plan 2020, Khalid said he wanted to do it immediately and had asked DBKL officers to advise him on its implications.
“There are projects that differ from the plan and I need to know the pros and cons of gazetting it,” he said.
After his first meeting with DBKL department heads, Khalid said they needed to work on rebuilding public perception.
He said in the past, there were instructions from the top brass that went against DBKL’s professional standard operating procedure and improper allocation of budget.
He cited the sale of 64 plots of land now under investigations by MACC .
“DBKL officers are relieved that they can now perform their duties professionally.”