FOUR restaurants in Kuala Lumpur were ordered to close temporarily by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) following an inspection on hygiene and cleanliness by the local authority.
DBKL carried out the inspection based on information provided by StarMetro readers under the Metro Hygiene Campaign.
Three restaurants in Bandar Menjalara, Kepong, that were ordered shut to clean up their premises were Warung King, Jia Jia 168 Kopitiam and Heng Kee Delight Bak Kut Teh Restaurant.
Another restaurant that was closed was Restoran Double Seven in Taman Sri Bintang, Kuala Lumpur.
All the eateries have been allowed to reopen after DBKL was satisfied with the cleaned-up premises.
DBKL Health and Environment Department deputy director Chandrakant Patel confirmed that the four restaurants had since reopened for business after DBKL officers made a follow-up inspection and was satisfied with the measures taken to improve hygiene and cleanliness.
“When the restaurants adhere to cleanliness guidelines and requirement, we will allow them to reopen for business,” he said.
Restaurants that were closed for hygiene violations were given 14 days to clean up the premises before they were allowed to reopen for business.
“Although we have scheduled inspections, we hope the public can alert us when they come across food handlers who do not prepare or serve food in a proper manner. We cannot be there all the time to check on each and every restaurant.
“It is important for restaurants to adhere to the law and their staff must adhere to food handling and hygiene guidelines set by DBKL,” he said.
The closure of the four restaurants was made under Section 28(1) of the Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur Food Establishment by-laws 2016 which states that the Kuala Lumpur mayor can order immediate closure of any food premises that is suspected of contributing to disease or infection.
Enforcement officers from DBKL found that the restaurants had committed several offences, including washing cutleries at the five-foot way, floor and walls were stained and dirty, grease trap not installed at the kitchen sink and cockroach sightings at the food preparation rack.
More than 10 premisses were inspected between June 28 and July 3.
Three compounds and notices were issued when the restaurants were found not using biodegradable packaging.
Following the introduction of the StarMetro Hygiene campaign last month, readers had been sending pictures and videos of dirty eateries. These complaints were then forwarded to DBKL for further action.
Most of the complaints highlighted cooking and food preparation done in the back lanes, washing area located along the walkway, food waste dumped into the drain and rats around the premises.
Meanwhile, DBKL also checked on a complaint based on a video clip showing a rat trying to get into a restaurant in Taman Tun Dr Ismail from the window on the first floor.
Based on the inspection carried out by DBKL enforcement officers, the cleanliness and hygiene level at the restaurant was satisfactory and it was equipped with “rat proof” windows that are covered with thin metal netting, and there were no sign of rat droppings or rats within the restaurant.
StarMetro urges readers to alert us on dirty restaurants and we, on our part, will notify the authorities to act against these irresponsible operators.
Do not forward old pictures and videos of dirty eateries taken several months ago or those involving restaurants in other countries. Send us only recent or fresh incidents of dirty eateries.
In your email, include your name, contact number, the restaurant’s name and its full address.
Send to email@example.com, and, yes, we keep your information confidential.