ADVERTISEMENT

FT Minister to decide fate of field approved for condo


THE site of a high-rise residential project on a former football field in Bandar Tun Razak, Kuala Lumpur has been sealed by Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL).

A stop-work order for the project, which received much protest from residents since last year, was also issued last Tuesday.

DBKL executive director (Planning) Datuk Mohd Najib Mohd told StarMetro that the move was because the early work permit to allow them to start work that was issued to the developer had expired.

“We allowed the developer to start work on the site subject to certain technical matters pending at the Federal Land and Mines Department (PTG) to be resolved.

“It is normal for us to allow them to do so, as sometimes the red tape can take a lot of time,” said Mohd Najib.

The 2.09ha land in Jalan Jujur was formerly a football field that was used by residents for various recreational activities. However, it was sold to a developer for the construction of a condominium last year.

When asked if DBKL would cancel the project because of public pressure, Najib said:

“We will seek the advice of the (FT) Minister and let him evaluate the case on Monday.”

The project site has been sealed after DBKL issued a stop-work order to the developer.
The project site has been sealed after DBKL issued a stop-work order to the developer.  

Federal Territories Minister Khalid Abdul Samad will make his inaugural visit to DBKL today.

A group of residents held a protest last Thursday at the site to appeal to Khalid and Bandar Tun Razak MP Datuk Kamarudin Jaffar to save the field.

Last year, the Save Jalan Jujur Football Field committee lodged a report with the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) office in Jalan Cochrane against DBKL over the sale of the land reserved for a football field .

The high-rise project on the site comprised four blocks, two of which were for low-cost flats.

The 40-storey blocks on the 2.09ha land will have 1,814 units and the population density will increase from 60 to 1,400 per 0.4ha.

“The fact that DBKL issued a stop-work order, sealed the site and cut off electricity supply, gives us hope,” said committee secretary Mohamad Saiful Mansur.

He said word that the land was sold came to the residents’ attention in 2016.

“We found out that there was a meeting between a handful of residents and Bandar Tun Razak Umno chief Datuk Rizalman Mokhtar about the matter.

“The plot is reserved land and we are unhappy that certain procedures were not carried out properly to change its status.

A Tenaga Nasional staff cutting the electricity supply to the residential project site after DBKL issued a stop-work order.
A Tenaga Nasional staff cutting the electricity supply to the residential project site after DBKL issued a stop-work order. 

“For instance, the meeting should have been followed up by a proper townhall meeting with relevant stakeholders,” said Mohamad Saiful.

He said it was only after the committee submitted a memorandum with 5,000 signatures by residents to DBKL that the local government agreed to meet them.

“But all our questions to them regarding the correct standard operating procedure over the matter were not answered at all, which made us even more determined to fight for our green field,” he said, adding that there was no public hearing for the residential project.

Mohamad Saiful said the football field was gazetted on Nov 24, 2005, as reserved land for public use and the status was changed on Dec 22 last year.

But an application for the proposed high-rise residential project was submitted to DBKL on May 3 last year and it was approved with condition on Oct 18 the same year.

At the point of approval, the land was still reserved land and had not yet been handed over to DBKL.

A resident, Jusoh Samad said all six of his sons grew up playing in the field and they had a lot of good memories growing up.

“This park is a legacy for us residents. We do not have big houses or cars, so things like our parks and trees are our treasure which must be protected at all cost,” he said.

Another resident who identified herself only as Norlidah, said the development would bring more cars into the area and that was not the way forward.

   

ADVERTISEMENT