ADVERTISEMENT

Bigger U-turn loop for motorists


note to artist: this is hte main pix for page 3, metn, 1306.Star pic by ASRI ABDUL GHANI/ The Star / June 12, 2018.

note to artist: this is hte main pix for page 3, metn, 1306.Star pic by ASRI ABDUL GHANI/ The Star / June 12, 2018.

THE Penang Island City Council (MBPP) is set to demolish seven abandoned buildings in Jelutong to pave the way for a road extension project.

The buildings situated between Jalan Perak and Jalan Jelutong on a 5,880 sq ft plot will be demolished to create a bigger U-turn loop for motorists.

Batu Lancang assemblyman Ong Ah Teong said a bigger loop from Jalan Jelutong into Jalan Perak would enable vehicles such as buses and lorries to make a U-turn more easily.

“Presently, the U-turn from Jelutong is very narrow and big vehicles have difficulties turning into Jalan Perak,” he told newsmen after visiting the site in Jalan Perak yesterday.

“The buildings have been abandoned for more than a decade and efforts to track down the owners have been futile as the letters sent by MBPP had been returned.

Star pic by ASRI ABDUL GHANI/ The Star / June 12, 2018.
(From left) Ong, MBPP senior engineer Zainuddin Mohamad Shariff and councillor Grace Teoh Koon Gee viewing a plan for the proposed U-turn at Jalan Jelutong and Jalan Perak in George Town.

“The buildings were also partly destroyed by fire some time ago and the old structure could collapse anytime,” added Ong.

The council has written to the Land and Mines Department to acquire the land at around RM2.73mil and work on the road extension project could begin in a year’s time.

Ong said the land acquisition was also part of MBPP’s Building Control Department’s move to ensure public safety.

He, however, said the cost of creating the U-turn loop has not been worked out yet.

The council implemented a one-way traffic system in part of Jalan Perak with the U-turn loop in November 2014.

   

ADVERTISEMENT