SIBU: Kanowit PKR division is contemplating issuing a legal letter to claim compensation from the utility company for frequent blackouts in the Kanowit area on behalf of the residents there.
Its secretary George Chen said they had to resort to such a move as the company had not only failed to provide a satisfactory explanation for the frequent power interruption, but also not taken measures to ensure it would not recur.
“For the past two weeks, there have been between 30 and 40 blackouts.
“We want to know the cause. Is it due to technical failure or other reasons?” he asked.
He gave an example of a case where the utility company had failed to provide a satisfactory answer.
“On May 31, the contractor of the company was trimming tree branches in Lukut area which had touched the overhead cable.
“However, a blackout happened after that which lasted for several hours, causing an inconvenience,” he said.
Chen said the party lawyer informed the utility company and the contractor subsequently worked to restore power supply.
“No reason was given to us for the power outage,” he said.
Chen said since Pakatan Harapan, which had formed the Federal government would practice transparency in its administration, they would want the utility company to reveal the cause of the frequent blackouts there to come up with a viable solution.
When contacted, a spokesman from the utility company said the company’s record showed that there had been only three breakdowns – one on May 20 because of strong wind, May 31 in Lukut area and the June 6 power outage was a result of a lightning strike.
The company, he added, then carried out repair work to restore power to the affected areas.
Did you find this article insightful?