A LAWYER representing seven traders in Brickfields, who claim they were wrongfully relocated from their business site last year, turned in evidence to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) yesterday.
The evidence included a 10-minute voice recording of a conversation between Kuala Lumpur mayor Tan Sri Mohd Amin Nordin Abd Aziz and the traders.
MACC officers met lawyer Dinesh Nair together with four of the traders, the mayor and other parties related to the matter.
The seven traders claim that they were wrongfully removed from their place of business which was specifically built for them under the Little India project in 2009.
“The MACC had asked us to either make an official report or provide information for them to investigate,” Dinesh said outside the MACC headquarters.
“So, we provided a recording of a conversation between the mayor and my clients.
“We have provided this to the MACC and we will leave it to them to carry out the investigation,’’ he said, adding that an update would be given in 14 days’ time.
Asked if they had made a police report, Dinesh said, “We have not done that yet.
“MACC has asked us to provide evidence first as it is an issue pertaining to abuse of power and there may be elements of corruption.
“That is why we have come to MACC first.
“But we are not ruling out making a police report,’’ he added.
It had been reported that DBKL enforcement officers were acting on a purported letter issued by the then PM’s Department, which resulted in the removal of the traders from the site.
Dinesh said the traders were relocated to Kompleks Tun Sambanthan in Brickfields, which was not conducive for business.
The seven traders, some of whom had been doing business in their original location for 40 years, and were suddenly evicted on Sept 17 last year in the wee hours of the morning.
Dinesh said DBKL had claimed that the space was meant to be a garden, but it was later utilised by a restaurant instead.
“My clients have had enough and are now seeking justice,’’ he said.
When contacted, Amin Nordin said he would provide any assistance needed in the investigation, and that he had nothing to hide.
“No problem. They can investigate, there is no hanky-panky.
“They can go ahead (to investigate) and we will give the details, I know what I am doing,’’ Amin Nordin said.
StarMetro had earlier reported that the mayor wanted to leave the fate of the seven traders to the new government.
Amin Nordin also said he would leave the decision to the new Federal Territories Minister.
Meanwhile, when contacted, Kortumalai Pillayar Restaurant owner S. Paramasivam, whose business is now occupying the said site, said he had been paying RM1,500 a month to rent the observation deck from DBKL since 2014.
“I am a legal tenant and have all the documentations to prove it,” he said.
Did you find this article insightful?